This vegetarian samosa recipe serves 3-4 and is a perfect way to get 3 of your 5 a day in one meal. Rich in folate, iron, fibre, calcium and vitamin C, they are the perfect pick-me-up food. They are also freezable, if you wish to freeze them, simple transfer to freezer before cooking and use within 2 months.
- 500g Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing
- small piece of ginger, peeled, finely chopped (approx thumb-sized)
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp curry paste (I used Madras)
- 200g baby spinach
- 2tsp black onion seeds
- 6 sheets of filo pastry
- 1/2 cucumber
- 150ml natural yogurt
- finely chopped onion
- Put sweet potaotes in a bowl, cover with cling film and microwave until soft – approx 8 minutes on high.
- Heat oil in large pan, add chopped onion and cook for a couple of minutes until softened. Add ginger, garlic and chilli, stir for a few minutes on medium heat until fragrant. Add curry paste and half onion seeds and stir for approx 30 seconds. Then add spinach and 2 and a half tbsp of water. Cook spinach until wilted. Tip in the sweet potato and any liquid remaining in the bowl. Season and mash together with back of spoon – but make sure that you leave some chunky bits of sweet potato. Leave to cool.
- Unroll pastry sheet, brush with oil and scatter some black onion seeds, layer another pastry sheet ontop. With the shortest side facing toward you, cut down the centre of the pastry sheets to make two long strips of pastry.
- Scoop approx 1/6th of the sweet potato and spinach mixture onto the top right hand-corner of the filo. Fold the pastry over on an angle, continuing down the length of the pastry until you reach the bottom. Repeat, until you have six samosoas.
- Heat oven to 180c fan/200c/Gas Mark 6. Line baking tray with baking paper and put samosas on top. Brush a little more oil over the top and sprinkle over the remaining black onion seeds. Bake for approx 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, peel the cucumber, then toss with finely diced onion. To serve, add yogurt onto plate with onion and cucumber on top.
Looking for some dessert inspiration? Why not try out our Bramble and Walnut Squares Recipe!